- Foster collaboration among individuals, organizations, and associations with an interest in safe patient handling and movement (SPHM).
- Promote professional development and education to advance the practice of SPHM.
- Facilitate research initiatives to strengthen the evidence for SPHM in a variety of care environments.
- Develop and maintain relationships with nursing, therapy, medicine, allied health, educators, researchers, risk managers, ergonomists, and other pro-fessionals with an interest in SPHM.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local, state, and federal agencies, healthcare organizations, equipment manufacturers, and consumer groups.
- Provide education and professional development opportunities for members.
- Provide an online resource for net-working with members and affiliated healthcare organizations.
- Support research and publication of evidence-based practices for SPHM.
- Act and speak to the general public who are consumers of products and services related to SPHM.